“I look forward to it twice a year.”
- When to arrive:
- Holding Area and Checkout Volunteers: Please arrive 15 minutes before the beginning of your shift.
- Volunteer Check-in, Re-stocking, and Floaters: Please arrive about 5 minutes before the beginning of your shift.
Where to enter building – please enter the 4-H Building through the volunteer entrance on the southwest corner of the building. Click here for a map of the 4-H Building showing the volunteer entrance.
- Where to check in – when you enter through the volunteer entrance (SW corner of building), you will find yourself in the Volunteer Check-in Area. You will be asked to sign in, put on an apron and name badge. You will then receive position-specific instructions.
- Food – We ask that you refrain from eating while you are working your shift in order to give your full attention to the customers. Drinks are acceptable (at checkout and holding) as long they are in bottles or cups that have lids. During the sale, food is available for purchase at the concession stand in the 4-H Building for much of the time. The concession stand closes before the sale does, but announcements are made over the public address system to inform you.
- What to bring – We will provide all the tools you need to complete your assigned tasks. WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO LEAVE YOUR PURSE AND OTHER VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR. WE ASSUME NO RESPONSIBLITY FOR LOST OR STOLEN ARTICLES. You will likely be very busy and may not be able to keep an eye on your valuables at all times.
- Expectations – We expect you to stay for your entire shift unless you are dismissed by the Book Sale’s Chair-in-Charge. Also, please do not bring friends or family members to be with you on your shift (at your station) unless they have signed up to work the same shift.
- Shopping – We would love to have you as a customer as well as a volunteer. However, ON OPENING NIGHT, we ask that you not shop while you are on your shift and wearing your apron. On all other days, you may shop while you are on the floor as long as you are picking up just a few books. Please do not shop with a cart while on duty. Rather, give your attention to our customers. Feel free to shop (without an apron) before or after your shift during sale hours. No shopping is allowed before the sale opens or after it closes on any days.
- If an emergency arises and you can’t fulfill your commitment to your shift, please call 515-262-3111 x4380 or email email@example.com as soon as you can so we can make other arrangements.